The Franklin Half Dollar was struck in the standard composition of 90% silver and 10% copper. The coins have a weight of 12.50 grams, a diameter of 30.60 mm, and a reeded edge.
Franklin Half Dollars were produced at the Philadelphia (for each year of the series), Denver (all years but 1955 and 1956) and San Francisco (1949, 1951-1954). Philadelphia coins do not carry a mintmark, while those struck at the Denver and San Francisco Mint have a mintmark placed directly above the Liberty Bell on the reverse. Proofs were produced at the Philadelphia Mint starting in 1950. The Proof coins were only available in combination with the other denominations in boxes until 1955 and in small envelopes for the rest of the series.
Besides rolls from banks, collectors could also obtain Uncirculated Franklin Half Dollars from Mint Sets. The format had been introduced in 1947, with two examples of each coin placed together within cardboard packaging. Starting in 1959, only a single example of each coin was included and the coins were packed in cellophane packs and envelopes. Franklin Half Dollars which come from the early “Double Mint Sets” are often recognizable by toning that has occurred through contact with the cardboard. In some cases, the colorful toning adds eye appeal and drives significant premiums.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Franklin Half Dollar was struck by the U.S. Mint from 1948 to 1963.
The metal content of the Franklin Half Dollar is 90% silver and 10% copper.
The Franklin Half Dollar’s weight is 0.4019 troy ounces (12.50 g).
The diameter of the Franklin Half Dollar is 1.205 inches (30.60 mm).
The Franklin Half Dollar was designed by John R. Sinnock in 1948.